Saturday, March 17, 2007

Eva is done!

Well, here she is!
I am quite pleased with the results, even though I'd make a couple of small changes if I were to make her again.
Pattern: Eva, my own design
Cable panels from Viking Patterns for Knitting by Elsebeth Lavold, instructions adapted from the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd, for a set-in sleeve sweater.
Yarn: Cuffs, hem, button bands and collar: Noro Silk Garden color 201. The rest: Kilcarra of Donegal Irish Tweed, in a blue color (two blues spun together) with cranberry flecks.
What would I do differently, seeing as this was my own experiment? I would have made the sleeves a touch longer. Like 1/2 an inch, or 3 or 4 rows. I'm sure I can block them a bit longer in the next washing though. I think it still looks acceptable though. I would have also made the shawl collar a touch wider. It creeps up a bit, and I keep on pulling it down in place. I guess I'll have to tack it down with the leftovers of the Silk Garden. But this is a flattering fitting sweater, and had none of the sleeve cap issues that Ingrid had. I guess we do learn from our mistakes! Here's the modelled shot.
Not a great shot, but you get the picture. I'll arrange for a better one when I'm feeling less sick, and when my husband isin't out running my errands. Now in a fit of indicisiveness over which project to plow through and finish, and which one to start next, I made a hat out of some of the leftovers from Eva.
This is the Ragna Cap from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting.
Modifications: My row gauge was way off, and there was no way 5 cable panel repeats would fit around my head, so I knit 8 repeats before casting off and grafting the panel ends together. Then I knit the hat in the round, where the instructions say to knit it flat and seam it up. But I kept the same number of stitches and rows for the crown (minus the 2 selvedge stitches) so maybe I should have looked up the errata for this one. Either way, it fits my head pretty well!
Now I have a sort of matching sweater and hat set!

Ivanova

2 comments:

Sus said...

That sweater is absolutely gorgeous!!! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Followed you over from the tweeding along blog. Your knits are beautiful! Love the cables.