Saturday, January 26, 2008

Celtic Knot #7

Intertwined Heart and Happiness Sign

This knot was inspired by an image from the Book of Kells found on page 28 verso (the back side of the page), where it is part of a border in a portrait of St. Matthew. Here's my hand-drawn attempt at reproducing this knot.





I know I suck at drawing, but you get the idea. My reference book is The Book of Kells Selected Plates in Full Color edited by Blanche Cirker. So.... here's what I came up with. I used Wolle Roedel Soft Merino knitted on US 8 needles (5 mm) for this swatch.


I wanted a cable that could be a continuous cable or a stand-alone knot. Like I tend to do, I charted this with some set-up rows (rows O1-O8), a chart repeat (rows 1-36), and some finishing rows (F1-F6). If you want to knit what I have photographed above, knit rows O1-O8 from the chart, then knit rows 4-36, rows 1-36, then rows 1-24, finishing with rows F1-F6.
For this combination of a picked-up knot cable, you need to begin with 24 cast-on stitches. If you want to knot a long continuous cable without the stand-alone start, you need to begin with 36 cast-on stitches. If that is your preference, I'd recommend knitting 3 4-stitch, 4-row rwisted rope braids as charted in rows 31-34 3 times. This might take a bit of swatching. Play with it and have some fun. If you want only the stand-alone knot, knit rows O1-O8, rows 4-24, then finish with rows F1-F6. Here's the chart...


Now I omitted the dots from the stand-alone parts of the knot. I originally swatched with some bobbles but I didn't like them - I suck at knitting bobbles. If anyone want to reproduce the original knot exactly, play with bobbles and email me a link to the pictures!

Here's some gratuitous detail shots...







Happy knitting!
P.S. Don't forget to get the legend.



16 comments:

Emano said...

That is breathtaking! I love it-- it might be the thing that makes me step out and do something more complex than a simple cable.

Joe said...

That's a BEAUTIFUL cable knot! Love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cable! You had mentioned that you were looking for a hat pattern that covers your ears. Check out the pattern posted on Dec 19th at this blog...maybe you'll like it!

http://patsknittingandquilting.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Totally cool. Totally beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is a stunning cable! A beautiful, functional transposition! I am so grateful for this, as I am in the process of knitting my mother a sweater for her birthday, and was in need for both inspiration, and a cable!

I hope I can incorporate this cable into the design.

Also, I really appreciate your efforts in this cabling project. I hope to see more charted designs in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been trying to knit this beautiful cable. I'm working in the round, so every row is read from left to right. There seems to be a problem with Row 15.

1) The second cross tells me to cross four purl stitches....should it be 'cross two knit stitches over two purl stitches to the right'?
2) The fifth cross looks like...well, I don't know what kind of cross it should be. maybe'cross two knit stitches over two purl stitches to the left'?

Also, I caught a mistake in Row 10. It should be "purl 8, knit 4, purl 4" not 'purl 8, knit 4, purl 3, knit 5'.

Anonymous said...

I saw your "tree" blanket on Ravelry and am dying to knit it! Do you provide a pattern for it? Please let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks so much,
Cathy
credfearn@airosurf.com

{Amanda} said...

Ooh, I want SO badly to turn this gorgeous knot into a scarf for my mother in law, but sadly...I haven't learned to read charts yet! Now, I must learn. This is the prettiest knot I've ever seen for knitting!

Do you, by any chance, have this pattern in text instructions instead?! :)

Alicia Coberley said...

Written directions to go along with the chart because the legend itself is a little confusing. Do you cable over two knit stitches and then put it in the middle of the other two or do you knit two stitches and then do the ones on the cable?

Alicia Coberley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia Coberley said...

Also do you cable to the front or to the back?

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this cable and I'm dying to knit it, however, I'm no good with graphs. Would there be a written pattern of this cable by any chance?

Anonymous said...

Where are the answers to all these questions. It would be nice to know since I have some of the same problems with graphs.

Saskia Boudreaux said...

Did you ever got to knit the blanket? When I saw it! I was so smitten, that I coul not eat or sleep. I got in tough with Julie the designer and she gave me the notes. I have it all written down. Saskiaboudreaux@yahoo.com

Saskia Boudreaux said...

Jule, do you have a other cable that match the #7? Multiple by 36 rows.

Nancy said...

Would soooo love written instructions for the cable rather than chart -- please?