Monday, September 10, 2007

Arisaig

Finally.

After a year and 4 months, it's done.


The speed of execution is not a reflection of the pattern's quality; I think it turned out well once I started working on it at home rather than using it as a travel project.

Pattern

Arisaig by Ysolda Teague, in medium.

Yarn

Rowan Cashsoft 4 ply in Loganberry (MC) and Dale Baby Ull (CC) both from the Black Sheep Wool Co. Both yarns were not too difficult to work with: I found the Baby Ull somewhat splitty if I wasn't paying attention. It also got a bit of a halo after hand washing. Although the Cashsoft does pill a bit and I had to shave the sweater after blocking, it held up reasonably well after frogging. I found that the sweater needed aggressive blocking to open up the lace. I'm not sure if that's because of the Cashsoft or the lace pattern.

Mods

Very few: I knit the sleeves in the round at the same time because I had trouble getting a consistent gauge. I also added about 5 rows of stockinette to each shoulder to make the armsceye fit the sleeve cap better, then joined them using the three needle bind-off. Finally, I picked up and knit the ribbed tie stitches rather than sew it around the neckline. The one thing I would change: if I knit a sweater like this again, I would make it a little longer.


I started Arwen and a vest for C's uncle late last week. While some progress was made, the knitting will slow down for the rest of the month while I prepare for the Moab century (no Big Nasty this year due to road and bridge repair work). I'll be doing the 70 mile option, which should be hard enough.

2 comments:

KimT said...

looks great!

thraceknits said...

Thank you!