Saturday, November 19, 2005

Leaf Lace Shawl/Baby Blanket Done!



Whew! It's done just in time for the baby shower. It is Fiber Trends Leaf Lace Shawl, knit in KnitPicks Sock Garden in color Hollyberry, on size 6 (US) needles. I did one extra repeat over the small size. And the edges DO NOT curl! I followed the advice on yahoo's Lace for All Seasons group for the Kiri (http://alltangledup.com ) edging and used a bigger US 8 needle for the bind off. I'll be making Kiri after I'm done the Fiber Trends Flower Basket Shawl for baby blanket #2. My cousin's wife is having twins, but they'll have to wait till Christmas for the second shawl/baby blanket. Luckily this one was pretty easy, I honestly did not break a sweat knitting this one until the edging, because I was running out of time, however it's not my fault, the babies are being delivered a couple of weeks early with a caesarian section. This was a 3-4 week on and off the kneedles project, and completely gratifying to block. I know I complained earlier about the fabric seeming too tight, but after the pre-blocking wash and soak, it expanded very nicely. It had a lot of stretch, and still has some spring in it yet! I didn't block the cr*p out of it because it is a baby blanket and not an adult shawl. I shouldn't be surprised by the blocking of a shawl at my current level of experience, but it was like, wow.

Susan

No comments: