Sunday, December 03, 2006

My Christmas stash and gifts...

So Christmas is approaching rapidly, and as a direct response, I have accumulated a Christmas stash, to be knitted up real quick! My goal this holiday season is to develop a versatile mitten pattern, for worsted/aran weight yarn, where any stitch pattern can be inserted on the back. I have worked out the details, and here is version number one, with a twisted linked ring pattern on the back, from Lavold's Viking Patterns for knitting book. I swear that someday, I will swatch every cable panel in that book! Here's the photo...

The yarn is Soft Merino from Wolle Roedel, a superwash merino knit on US 7 needles. For this pair I am trying the knitting in the round on 2 circular needles technique, because I would be juggling 5 dpns and a cable needle otherwise. I am a fan of this technique, especially for knitting small textured items. I HATE crossing cables over DPNs. And the more I use this yarn, the more I like it. I think that I like it more than Mission Falls wool, as it is more elastic. And it has better yardage (or meterage in europe) with 100 m/ball. But the choice of colors isn't as nice. This pair was intended for Mom, but I rcently found out that she dosen't like blue (!) so they will go to a friend that consistently loses mittens, and this needs more.

Now for the aforementioned picky mother: Noro silk garden mitts in a red colorway - the only colorway that had no blue in it in the store.

I will use the same mitten template I have created with a different cable panel, I think. The final stash addition is a few balls of Alpaka sport-weight, to be held doubled for a pair of mittens for Delenn. The poor girl is allergic to wool! Beyond that, the project is top-secret, as she has not told me if she wants to be surprised.
So no pics and no details for you! Until after Christmas, of course. I do hope that holding sport-weight doubled will result in a worsted/aran weight, otherwise I will modify the template to meet my gauge, i.e. doing more math!

Now I found a little something for myself...

I found this at the open-air Christmas market. Apparently, most of the old towns here have one of those - what fun! It is a worsted/aran wool handpaint, sold in 100 g (150 m) hanks. This booth also sold fleece and solids but this handpaint grabbed me, and the price was decent. I didn't get TONS of it, enough for a hat and 2 mitts, a large scarf, or a small lace shawl done on large needles. Can you guess which idea is grabbing me? I am particularly inspired by Brooklyn Tweed's version of the Shetland Triangle Shawl done in an aran weight, check it out here...

Here is my progress on the blue sweater which is going slowly because the Christmas knits are higher priority. I hope to bind off the back before I leave for Chrismas, so I can work on the smaller pieces (the sleeves) on the plane rides.



Happy Christmas knitting!

Ivanova

No comments: