Saturday, January 06, 2007

It's my favourite day...

Yeah, you guessed it, Urban Decay Saturday! My husband noticed a burned (and melted) recycling bin on our way to work a couple of days ago...
and people are still putting their recycling in and near it! Here recycling is different than my North American experience. In my old town, you put your recycling in a bin and the city picked it up every week or two. Here you walk (or drive) your recyclables to your neighbourhood's giant bin. My first thought was of Thrace's post... someone recycled novelty yarn! Then, upon closer examination I noticed this poster on an adjacent bin...
I guess someone just couldn't wait!

Anywhoo, in this week's knitting update, I didn't get nearly as much sleeve done as I would have liked, I tried out my new ball winder and swift and made some of my Christmas Market yarn into a ball, and cast on for a shawl. Inspired by brooklyn tweed's aran weight Shetland Triangle Shawl by Evelyn Clarke (from Wrap Style) I cast on for it with my aran weight mystery wool purchased at the town's Christmas Market. It's VERY soft, so I'm guessing it's merino. It also seems quite durable, so who knows. I like it. Anyways, upon making numerous swatches, I had to go up to a US 10.5 needle (bt used a 9) and still thought it was a lumpy mess.
Does this
look anything at all like this? I know that blocking would help a bit, but it can't turn a curving-inwards lump into a beatuful shawl, so I decided a more open lace would work better with this yarn. After attempting to design a triangular shawl around my favourite spider stitch pattern featured in this shawl (Nov. 3) I gave up and cast on for the Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn Clarke (Fall 06 IK). I don't know if the Lilly of the Valley Border will look good, I'll just have to see... So now I'm thinking that the gorgeous cashmere-silk blend Delenn gave me will be cast on for the Shetland Triangle shawl. It'll probably work better because it has more drape. Now here is some eye candy....

Ivanova

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any idea how the mystery yarn behaves when it's washed?